Tuesday, August 28, 2012

TMNT (Fred Wolf, 1987) Season 1 - Review


So I've decided to start doing some more Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated reviews, diving headfirst into the 1987 animated series produced by Fred Wolf.

You can read my review of all 5 Season One episodes at Adventures in Poor Taste!

While I take the piss out of the show quite frequently, I actually do love that opening five-part miniseries.  It's everything that was great about Fred Wolf's TMNT series with none of the shit.

I'll be plowing my way through the remainder of the show as a special/infrequent series of articles for Adventures in Poor Taste, probably in 6-8 episode chunks (those syndicated seasons could get pretty freakin' long).  It's a refreshing break from the comic reviews, even if the episode reviews take a bit longer to watch and write.

And if you haven't yet, you may also want to check my reviews for "Turtles Forever" and The Real Ghostbusters parody/slander episode, "Mean Green Teen Machine", also done as special articles for Adventures in Poor Taste.

3 comments:

Adam Winters said...

Mark, I've always wanted to see your reviews of specific Real Ghostbusters episodes, but I guess I can live with your analysis of the old TMNT cartoon. I can't help but think you're gonna skewer most of it!

When it comes to those longer syndicated seasons, you might consider grouping some episodes according to common themes, such as Rat King appearances or something like that. Granted, the nature of the series make it hard to make many grouping, but it's worth a shot.

Also, I might as well shamelessly plug my own attempts to analyze the classic TMNT cartoons, along with fellow Turtles fan Kevin McGill:
http://fancommentaries.thetechnodrome.com/

We'd still love to have you join us as a guest commentator at some point.
:-)

erfolgsdiplomat said...

I must say season 1 was a wonderful saturday morning cartoon.
It's such a shame that it would be just used to infect small brained children and keep the young crackheads addicted with bad quality stuff to follow up.
Regarding the intro in comparison to the original Mirage stuff I have to think of this Watchmen parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w
Enjoy it and please review more old Mirage comics.

erfolgsdiplomat said...

That season was wonderful saturday morning stuff.
Too bad it was just means to infect youngbrained smilers to trap into an addiction which would be just treated with cheap follow up trash.
But here everything was very right. The episodes would be dramatic and surprising. The animations were fantastic and would always lack the elegance of these first episodes in later shows. The fighting sequences would also become lame compared to what we got offered in season 1.
I love the first open street encounter between the TMNT and Bepop & Rocksteady.
I love the background music.
I love the serious troubled relationship between Krang and Shredder (this one had a much better and more interesting development in the Archie comics though).
Regarding the intro of the show in comparison to the original violent Mirage comics I have to think of this Watchmen parody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w
Enjoy it and survive your attempt to rewatch the other trash.