Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) Season Two, Part One - Review


Continuing my watch-through of the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon produced by Fred Wolf in 1987, I jump into the first half of Season Two.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) Season Two, Part One - Review.

Despite a noticeable decline in production values and a clear bit of "tidying up" to appease BS&P, there's surprisingly quite a bit to like about this season, particularly the first half which forms a pretty tight-knit story arc.

Unfortunately, there's also some crap, but that can't be helped.

3 comments:

E. Wilson said...

Ahh, this takes me back. I had Attack of the Killer Pizzas on VHS, but had somehow completely forgotten that they were Geiger-Alien riffs. (Didn't see any of the Alien films until years later.) And Incredible Shrinking Turtles was the first episode of the show I can remember watching, and is actually one of my earliest memories, period.

I'd also forgotten the whole "Shredder cut off from Krang's resources" subplot, which...seems kind of an odd move on Krang's part. If he wants to rule Earth, then why not help Shredder? And if he doesn't, why not cut him off completely? (And why not at least give him Rocksteady and Bebop? I somehow don't see them being all that helpful in the Dimension X Wars.)

Was it the third season where the Technodrome is trapped in the center of the Earth, then? For some reason that's what I constantly picture as its default location, but for all I know that's a faulty memory.

Mark Pellegrini said...

@ E. Wilson

Yeah, season 3 was the season the Technodrome spent in the Earth's core. If you remember it so promptly, it might be because season 3 was a whopping 47 episodes-long, so it spent a rather long time down there.

E. Wilson said...

Huh, yeah. A scroll on Wikipedia seems to indicate that season 3 was syndicated like whoa, because it contains most of the stand-alone episodes I remember. The first two seasons, on the other hand, contain all the episodes I owned on VHS. Weird.