Tuesday, July 1, 2014

TMNT (1987) Season 5, Part 3 Review


Alright, so I've gotten around to another batch of episode from season 5 of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon produced by Fred Wolf.  These aren't great episodes.

TMNT (1987) Season 5, Part 3 Review at Adventures in Poor Taste.

Well, the Casey Jones episode is pretty great.  The rest range from average to incompetent, but that's just par for the course as far as this show is concerned.  I AM looking forward to the next review, though, as then I'll finally be getting to "Planet of the Turtleoids".

But before I can get to that, I've gotta get through this.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must disagree with your opinion on "The Ice Creature Cometh," because even though the episode is a repeat of the same formula the show has used since the end of Season 1, I feel its different enough to make it worthwhile.

As you say the self-aware parody of the episode where David Wise realizes this is the same thing the show has done for years makes it amusing. I also liked how Bebop was able to control the ice creature and got to boss it around for a while.

the Turtles don't get to face many giant enemies in this show, (I think the mutated Bull in Season 3 and giant monkey Jocko in Season 4 are the only others), so it was a nice change of pace. Its also one of the eps of Season 5 that actually makes use of the "Technodrome frozen in the arctic" scenario as that kind of episode couldn't have been done if the Technodrome was still in Dimension X or underground.

I'm also surprised they explained how a mutated ice creature can exist. Krang says the mutagen must have effected the mitochondria in the ice giving it life. When would you expect something like mitochondria to be brought up in a kids show where the target audience wouldn't care how a giant ice creature came about? I must appreciate that fact.

Also, I thought it was obvious that Wally Airhead was based on Arnold Schwarzenagar, given the "I'll be back" line he uses twice which is from Terminator 2 and the whole body builder concept which is what Arnold started as before he became a movie star.