Monday, January 23, 2023

TMNT (Vol. 1) #8 Remastered: Ashcan Preview Edition

 


Publication date: November 2022 (cover date), January 2023 (delivery date)

Publisher: Aardvark-Vanaheim Press, Waverly Comics

Story and Art: Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Dave Sim, Gerhard

Lettering and Production Assistance: Steve Lavigne and Michael Dooney

Contents:

This ashcan edition contains a preview of the upcoming remastered edition of TMNT (Vol. 1) #8 by Dave Sim.


Turtle Tips:

*This release was preceded by Pieces of Turtles 8 #2. It will be followed by the full-fledged release of TMNT (Vol. 1) #8 Remaster.

*This comic was only available from the Waverly Comics webstore. Orders went live on November 3 for a limited time.

*This edition included 4 variant covers: Collector Cover (150 copies), Wraparound Green Foil Cover (120 copies), Wraparound Gold Foil Cover (signed and numbered by Sim, 80 copies), Wraparound Platinum Cerebus Team cover (signed and numbered by Sim, 40 copies).

*The Collector Cover included a back cover pin-up by Sim.

*This comic included 3 interior pin-ups by Sim.

*Packaged with the comic were 3 randomly sorted trading cards. A bundle of 10 blank cards was also offered as a separate purchase.

*A unique bundle containing Sim's original art for the cover was also offered, but limited to 1 (obviously).


Review:

I know I'll be kicking myself in the future for not getting one of those ultra-low print run editions with the wraparound covers; they're sure to hit "Turtlemania Silver/Gold cover" levels of rarity and value eventually. But I just didn't have the cash and I'd probably never sell the thing no matter how valuable it got, anyway (I'm sentimental like that). Ultimately, I'm happy with my Collector Cover and the cool trading cards that came with it.

Trying to stay on top of Sim's releases for this TMNT #8 remaster series has been quite a time. I missed out of the Canadian edition of Pieces of Turtles 8 #1, but managed to find out about the USA edition on Kickstarter just in time to snag one before it closed. I was Johnny-on-the-spot for Pieces of Turtles 8 #2 and managed to snag both the Canadian and USA editions. I only learned about the Ashcan because Sim put his Kickstarter backers on a mailing list; those things DO work! And now I'm waiting until March 1 so I don't miss the proper TMNT #8 Remaster preorder.

Buying comics is a lot of fuckin work these days, isn't it?

As to the Ashcan itself, these sorts of releases are generally designed to be on the thrifty side, so the presentation isn't going to knock your socks off. I could take out my original copy of TMNT #8 and compare it with this preview of the remaster, but I think I'll wait until the real thing comes out later this year before I expend that sort of effort. Looks good so far, though!

Anyway, since that link in the Turtle Tips to the Waverly Comics webstore listing likely isn't gonna last forever, here's a gallery of the 4 covers:







As for the trading cards, I have no idea how many there are in the series. You can see the 3 that I got in the photo at the start of this article. For the record, they're #87 (Cerebus and Donatello sketch), #88 (Cerebus and Donatello color), and #90 ("T8"). Is there really 90 of these things?